The drinks are flowing, the cheer is abundant, the small plates are passing and your inhibitions are low. It is the holiday season, so why not indulge and just start fresh January 1st, right?
#wronganswer!! When you follow a strong and healthy fitness philosophy the small decisions you make every day define you. The sum of who you are today is a result of the daily habits and decisions you have made in your past. Being ALL or NOTHING hardly brings balance and peace of mind when it comes to eating and fitness. Shades of gray and being flexible with your nutritional rules allow you to ride the wave of incoming temptations and roadblocks and remain unswayed.
here are my top 5 rules for preventative eating
1) HYDRATE!!!!!!! Drinking glass(es) of water before you eat throughout the day will help your body send correct signals. Dehydration is very often mistaken as hunger. Studies have found that those who stay hydrated consume fewer calories. We know, that the #somelikeitfit philosophy is not about calories, per se, BUT knowledge is power. Are you drinking enough water?? IS YOUR PEE NEON?? THEN, ah nope! If you are getting up to go every few hours during the day and are closer to clear in color than bright yellow, you are hydrated. The more you sweat…the more you should drink. Muscles are mostly water, if you want to #performyourbest make sure you are hydrated to ensure pliability. Yes, #12QB is onto something!
2) Eat Protein and Fat With Most Meals and Keep Starch Minimal – Protein helps you stay fuller longer and keeps your blood sugar stabilized. Fat helps your hormones send signals to your brain to STOP eating and/or that you are satisfied. Having each with each meal keeps you on the straight and narrow … these macronutrtients actually work with your body in staying true to your fitness goals.
3) Have a small meal before you go. This is coupled with #2. Comprise that meal with protein and healthy fat and you have just safeguarded yourself from picking all night. A smoothie with almond milk, plant based protein, fruit, and fat is a great choice. Helps you hydrate, and offers the protein and fat. Do this even if you are not hungry!! This stradegy is proven. This is what I term “preventative eating” … eating with the purpose of keeping true to your goals!
4) Game Plan – You have all heard the expression “fail to plan, and plan to fail”. With all of the temptations and justifications around the holiday season social events, having no plan is like skydiving without a parachute. Make a commitment to yourself! Reminder: this is not about perfection, but being satisfied and content when you sail through the holiday season staying true to your healthy goals. Share your game plan with those who have your best interests at heart. Like #teamsomelikeitfit!
5) Know how your body reacts to foods that are generally out of your healthy repetiore. #4 leads me right into this. Personally, I can eat less healthy sources of protein and fat to my hearts desire and still feel “tight” in the morning. It is the salt and carbs that make me feel like Lake Winni the next morning, or like 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag, with fingers resembling sausages. No Thanks! Ill deviate with the protein and fatty foods, to keep my mind in check.