Ahhh, the feeling of riding your A-Game. Eating well, working out like an athlete, making good lifestyle decisions. Jeans button easily, or are even loose, thoughts are clear and ideas zippy, mood is high, and noone or nothing can dampen your spirits.
It is late November and ……. screeeeeeaaaaaachhhh, Holidays are here and your time is hijacked by Cyber Monday Sales and pulling together a mind blowing memorable Christmas (insert holiday) for your children, your bank account rapidly declines, your downing far too many vodka sodas so you can be the life of the party, and the SUGAR….oh the Sugar!
Here are my Top Tips for staying energetic and stress free….mayyyybe even maintaning your A-Game this holiday season.
1. Keep your workouts compact and efficient. Don’t waste your valuable time going the extra mile in the gym leaving your tank empty for social, family, or personal tasks and obligations. Fluff free and focused workouts that leave you energized and accomplished and are straight to the point and short in duration will allow you to spend energy elsewhere. A way to do this is to circuit the larger muscle groups; chest (push), back (pull), and legs (squat or hinge). Maximum bang for your buck!
2. Eat lighter nutrient dense foods (especially during the day) so you don’t overload your digestion and zap your energy. We have got to eat to maintain energy, but make sure that the foods you eat are colorful and watery and not packaged. Avoid hyper palatable foods that are rich in sugar and/or fat, they only lead you to want more, and zap your energy with huge blood sugar dips and digestive distress. Leave these for the SMALL bites you will indulge in while spreading cheer amongst family and friends.
3. Moderate caffeine. Over-consumption of caffeine can lead to adrenal distress and create fatigue and mood swings. No Bueno. A cup to get the engine running is A-Ok. Reach for kombucha, water and/ or herbal teas to keep your fire stoked and energy abundant. Also remember, proper hydration helps flush out impurities, fill out muscles, and prime your metabolism…all benefiting your energy and your mood! Drink up, Buttercup.
4. Have a game plan!!! Look forward to your weekends and visualize how you will eat and drink. Will there be a dish that you long for all year? If so, go crazy, live life and enjoy…adjust the rest of the day accordingly. Just don’t NOT eat all day and consume a few too many tequilas and make an ass of yourself….but I digress, THINK about your goals, how you want to feel, and be an adult and follow your plan!
5. Do not overcompensate with workouts for eating too much and throw yourself into a shame cycle. This is detrimental for your health, your mind, and your A-game. Stop the unhealthy cycle and just move on.
Well, there you have it. Tried and true tactics to help maintain that A-Game. Remember you are HUMAN, and life is worth enjoying.